PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY
Welcome to New York Writes Itself, a production by the people of New York. And just as we’re getting to know each other, BOOM! Here comes the legal. The New York Writes Itself website (the “Service”) is proudly brought to you by Leo Burnett USA (“NYWI,” “Leo Burnett” or “we”). Use of the Service is subject to these terms (the “Terms”), so please read them carefully. If you agree to these Terms, please check the box to accept them and click the “Sign Up” button. If you don’t agree, click the “Cancel” button. Note that any violation of these Terms may result in termination of your account. NYWI reserves the right to change these Terms from time to time. Please refer to these Terms periodically for any changes. By continuing to use the Service, you will be agreeing to any changes.
1. Your submissions:
You may NOT submit any of the following material or obtain any such material using the Service:
- Any threatening, abusive, obscene, pornographic or profane material, material that degrades another on the basis of race, gender, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, age, disability or other classification, or any other material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under applicable law. NYWI recommends you use an “adult-content” warning label when materials are being shared that include legal adult content.
- Any material that promotes or encourages illegal drugs, firearms/weapons, alcohol abuse, or other illegal activities or activities that appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message.
- Any material that could infringe rights of privacy, publicity or copyrights or other rights of any third party (such as trademarks, brand or company names, logos, lyrics, poems, book excerpts) or that includes personally identifiable information of another person or company, without the permission of the owner of these rights and any persons (or their parents or legal guardians, where applicable) who are depicted in the material.
- Any material that is false or falsely states or misrepresents your affiliation with any person or entity, or disparages, defames or misrepresents other people, companies, products or services.
- Any material that contains spam or other advertisements or solicitations, pyramid schemes, chain letters or otherwise promotes commercial activity, commercial entities or products or services, except as explicitly allowed herein.
- Any material that contains software viruses or any other harmful or potentially harmful computer code, files or programs or malware.
- Material that interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobeys any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service.
- Any material that has been previously published or won prior awards.
- Any material sent from an anonymous or false address.
- Any material that is not focused on the city of, and the people, culture and experiences within, New York.
2. Responsibility for Submissions:
By submitting materials, you agree that you are solely responsible for any materials you share through the Service (your “submission”). You represent and warrant that the submission is original, that you own all rights in the submission and you have the right and authority to use any names, images, depictions, text and other content incorporated in your submission and to grant the rights provided in the Terms. Any submissions by other scribes are the sole responsibility of the individual posting them. NYWI will not be liable for the content of any submission. By using the Service, you understand that you may be exposed to materials that you may consider to be offensive or objectionable. If you identify objectionable material or violations of these Terms, please contact NYWI’s Copyright Agent, as instructed in Section 12 below.
3. Removal or Modifications to Submissions:
While NYWI is not responsible for the content of the submissions, NYWI reserves the right to delete, move or edit submissions that it, in its sole discretion, deems abusive, defamatory, obscene or in violation of copyright or trademark laws or otherwise unacceptable or in violation of these Terms. NYWI may request confirmation of the copyright, trademark or other ownership from the submitter. If you dispute any copyright or trademark infringement claims, we will share with you the contact information of any party claiming any such infringement, if possible. In the event of any such dispute, NYWI reserves the right to suspend the display, viewing or sharing of any submissions until the issue has been resolved. You acknowledge that any submission may be removed, published, copied, modified, transmitted and displayed by NYWI for the purposes of delivering the offered services.
4. Age requirements:
You must be at least 18 years of age and the age of majority in your state of residence to use our Service.
5. Use of Submissions:
By accepting these Terms and submitting a submission, you grant NYWI, its designees and users of this website an irrevocable, perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, fully paid and royalty-free worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, publicly perform or display, translate, adapt, excerpt (in whole or in part), distribute, make other works, and otherwise use in any manner the submission you submit (and all stories, names, depictions and other content incorporated therein) in connection with the Service and for any and all other purposes in any and all media, format or technology, now known or discovered in the future, throughout the universe in perpetuity at no cost to NYWI or anyone else and without requiring further notice, payment or permission for use. NYWI and its designees shall have the right to post, exploit, publish, add to, subtract from, change, revise or otherwise edit the submission including, without limitation, your name, biographical information and likeness as incorporated in the submission. You waive all rights that you may have under any laws or statutes worldwide that concern “moral rights” in connection with the submission, unless prohibited by law. You understand that NYWI assumes no responsibility for any similarities between any submission and any future advertising or promotional activities or other initiatives undertaken by NYWI. Your submissions will not be kept confidential. NYWI is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your submission by third parties. To be clear, between NYWI and you, subject to the rights you have granted in these Terms, you retain full ownership of your submission and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your submission.